Friday, February 20, 2009

Cranberry Juice Spills


It’s been a while. I seem to go through phases with this blog thing… There are times where I could do 5 entries in one day or couldn’t care less for a month if I say anything. I guess what had me thinking this time is that I told a story to a woman that I am getting ready to do some volunteer work with and afterwards I realized it was a funny situation. Maybe not funny, but it made her laugh and gave her a reality check for the moment.

I was in Trader Joe’s the other day and as I was standing by the refrigerated section, one of the workers walked by and managed to spill an entire bottle of cranberry juice down my leg and into my shoe. And I mean an ENTIRE bottle. We are talking about a full gallon. It of course startled me at first and the worker immediately was apologetic and ran to get me some paper towels. He apologized over and over (and over and over) as I kept saying, “It’s ok…these things happen”. I think about 4 or 5 other workers got involved to make sure that I was ok and to get the spill cleaned up. I got myself cleaned up as best I could and continued my shopping. As a side note, I do not recommend shopping with a wet shoe and sock. It’s not the most fun feeling in the world. A few minutes passed and one of the workers who had helped me quite a bit approached me and said, “I just wanted to thank you for being so cool about the spill”. I said again, “No problem, these things happen” and mumbled something about if he heard the stories I hear, he would be cool about it too...which gets me to my point.

I hear some of the worst things in the world that happen to people when I am at work. Stories that you can’t even make up. When dealing with domestic violence and sexual assault, you don’t have people calling to tell you fun, happy stories. You hear stories of violence, sadness, pain, suffering, and if you are lucky, sometimes hope. Over the last 9 months, my perspective has changed. When I get a bottle of cranberry juice poured on me I think to myself, “If this is the worst thing that happens to me today, my life is awesome”.

I welcome cranberry juice spills. Please let cranberry juice be my biggest concern today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please... Comment away!