
See? I have some days where I need to write more than once and some weeks that go by without a peep from me! I just left the biggest joke of a scene that I think I have seen since I have been in San Diego. Let me preface this by saying that I am not against plastic surgery. I think some people can really enhance the way they look by it and if that is what they need to make them feel better than I say go for it. People need different things for themselves and that is fine. I do think however if you are going to go that route, you need to draw the line somewhere. And when you begin to look like Joan Rivers (or a man who used to be a woman) it is time to stop.
I went to a bar this evening with a couple of people based on recommendations from others that I loosely know. What we walked into was a sea of 40 and 50-something women who had so much plastic in their body that I honestly felt sorry for them. And the men that were there literally looked like they were looking into a zoo cage. The majority of them, if they were not dancing with one of these women (in a way that is maybe only appropriate when you are 21), were standing around the perimeter of the bar looking like penguins puffing up their chests trying to show who was the stronger mate. It was a very sad scene.
I think there are two things that make me the saddest when seeing something like this. The self-esteem of these women is so low. And I am not talking about a woman who has had a boob job or her eyes lasered. I am talking about women who literally look like they used to be a man and are trying to look like a woman. What has gotten them to this point where they feel like this is what they need to do to look “beautiful”? And where in society are we teaching this? Is it coming from the supermodels? Is it coming from the increase of all of the anti-aging products? And who ever said that growing old made you less beautiful anyway?
The other thing, I think bothers me the most. I work out at a gym where a large amount of women have had plastic surgery and work out daily to keep a very thin figure. Many of these women also have young children, and I listen to some of these young girls talking with one another in the locker room. I have heard them criticize each other on their bodies. I have heard them talk about what they ate at school and how they can't understand how Bobby could like Suzy because she wears a size 4, which is fat. I am not over exaggerating. I wonder where these girls get this from and then I see their mothers. This leaves no question in my mind. Is this the same place/same way their mothers developed their self-esteem problems?
I don’t even know how to finish this thought process so I will just leave it here. Don’t ever let me get any closer to plastic than a new American Express and being asked in the checkout line, “paper or plastic”?
Paper Please.
Ok Julie, you have been found!
ReplyDeleteI have read though your blog a little and love your writing.
Keep it up girl!