Thursday, December 17, 2009

My Seven Dwarfs




Isn’t it always interesting when you find out that all of us are really just the same? Whether someone is a student, a professional, someone living in a shelter, poor, rich…whatever…we all still want the same things.

As I was sitting in my group that I lead at the shelter tonight, I was listening to one of my girls talk about how for the first time she is single and it feels fantastic. She is excited about 2010 and about learning more about herself, about what SHE wants, about who SHE is, about what SHE is going to do. For the first time, life is about making herself happy, not about trying to make someone else happy. She said though, she does miss having that person to lean her head on. That person you can call and say, “can you please pick me up some NyQuil on the way home – I can’t get myself up to do it”.

As I looked around my group class night the other night, I smiled thinking about a quote on a Starbucks cup that I had just bought. It said, “I wish we could see that we are really all the same”. Or something like that. And I found myself thinking that same thing tonight sitting in a room with two women who couldn’t be further from who I THINK I am…but that is just on the surface. The truth is, every single one of us want happiness. We all want to experience love. We want to be able to be OK with the awkward girl inside of us that comes out exactly when we want to be as cool as humanely possible. We want someone else to be OK with that awkward girl.

After work I was talking with a new girlfriend and she said something about being awkward. I love awkward. I am awkward. I am uncool. I am gitty. I am quirky. I am silly. I am passionate. I am dorky. And I love people who are awkward, uncool, gitty, quirky, silly, passionate and dorky. Those are my Seven Dwarfs in my Snow White fairytale. They follow me around and pop up when I least expect them to. We all have our dwarfs following us around in search of the same thing…happiness, love…life. We are all the same.

1 comment:

  1. I love this posting...you can add awesome and have 8 dwarfs!- Caz

    ReplyDelete

Please... Comment away!