Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Glitter Glue and Staples



To share some of my sunshine today, one of my kids at the shelter made me a “book”.  I asked the kids to make up some “thank you” art books for some of the supporters of our organization and this evening when I was getting ready to leave, I stopped by the kitchen to see what they had created. 

To backtrack a little on my story, a few days ago one of my 5 year olds was playing in my office and right in the middle of my conversation with her mom, she looked up at me and said, “your office has the best toys”.  I’ll admit it.  I felt proud of my office toys.  

This evening, when I walked in to see how the art projects were going, the same 5 year old said, “Look!  This is for you! I made it for you,”.  She handed me what appeared to be about 5 pieces of construction paper, folded in half to make a book.  I looked at the front of her creation and there was a huge red heart with the writing “to play with you” written across it.  She had then written her and her sister’s name next to it.  I went to open the book and found that…well…it was a little difficult to open with glitter glue and staples fastening the entire book shut.  I smiled and thanked her profusely as it may have been the best book I have ever been given.  There is nothing better than the smile on a child’s face when they know you are proud of them. 

I liked today.  It was a tough one, that is for sure, but I liked it.  I found out once again how small this world is and I wonder why it really seems to be showing me that fact in LA.  I found out that a friend of mine might have a great chance of getting an incredible, which thrills me to pieces, because she deserves to be in a job that makes her happy.  I found out that people do usually burn their own bridges if you let things run their course, as true colors do come out.  I learned that the next few weeks are going to be some tough ones, but they don’t seem so bad when you are happy with what you are doing in life and love the people that you surround yourself with.  I think the best thing I learned today though, and I can promise you this - glitter glue and staples make the best short stories you will ever read.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please... Comment away!