
Have you ever heard a song 1,000 times but never really listened to it? I mean REALLY listened to it. I was introduced to the Flaming Lips a couple of months ago and fell in love. There were a few songs that I was listening to a lot and many of them, I knew the words to, but today I really listened to it. I am not sure why, I wasn’t in some deeper meaning mood – I was just driving a long the 163 on the way to meet an old Board Member of mine and there they were. These lyrics that I needed to hear. And it wasn’t even the first time I listened to it that drive. I tend to get in a “specific song mood” and I will listen to something like 10 times over and over. I think I was on round 2 and there they were. I thought about them the rest of the day. I got to work and looked them up online and there they were – staring me in the face.
Keep in mind I have never heard this song outside of my own iPod. After work I felt like I needed to clear my head for a moment. I didn’t want to talk to anyone. I didn’t want to discuss anything. I wanted to sit and think about everything that these lyrics had brought to my attention. And as I paid for my beer at a random dive bar in Solano Beach I heard those lyrics for the first time ever, outside of the confounds of my own car. I literally laughed out loud. I get it.
So that you don’t have to do your homework, I have posted the lyrics to “Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell” by the Flaming Lips below.
I don’t want to explain this one. It’s not necessary for me this time. I guess I just need this posted as my permanent reminder. A reminder to quit ego tripping.
“Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell”
By: The Flaming Lips
I was waiting on a moment
But the moment never came
All the billion other moments
Were just slipping all away
I must have been tripping
Just ego tripping
I was wanting you to love me
But your love it never came
All the other love around me
Was just wasting all away
I must have been tripping
Just ego tripping
I was waiting on a moment
But the moment never came
But the moment never came
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please... Comment away!