Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Blair Homeless Project


I spent approximately two hours today with two armed and uniformed police officers wandering two areas of woods in Wilmington. The area we thought Betty Ann and April were in was abandoned and so they took me over to a 20 acre area of woods not too far away that we thought they had moved to.

We spent a significant amount of time laughing about the fact that I could hear the two of them cursing me inside their head, "Damn woman! We could be in our air conditioned cars at the moment, but nooooo....we are out here with you in 90 degree humid weather looking for homeless people!". They denied it, but I swear I heard it. Ahhh... And the Blair Witch moment. One officer was a ahead of us in the 20 acre area and the other officer stopped me to point out something. 5 seconds later we looked up and the other officer had literally disappeared. At the same time we both said "Where did he go????". "This feels a little Blair Witch-ish all of a sudden," I said. After a laugh, he said "The good news is this is a square area of woods so we can't get lost in here." I mentioned that I thought that exact line was in the movie as well.

I have to say - two of the kindest police officers I have ever met. They have offered to take me back out on Wednesday if I decide to stay in town to search some more. Found out Betty Ann is still with the man who assaulted her in 2006. He's got one of the worst reputations in the city and pulled a box cutter on one of the officers I was with last time they ran into him. Sounds like a quality man if I do say so myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please... Comment away!