Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Will Work for Family


I left Wilmington yesterday to head back to San Diego. I must admit, I think that was the most exhausting trip I have ever had. I am so glad I went. Nany and Pop really needed a lot of help and I am glad I was able to be there when they needed it.

They gave me an envelope Monday night with cash in it. They knew I was going to put up a fight about it. Nany started to say that it was because of all the help I had given them. I explained that I don't get paid to help family. That is not what family is about. Then it changed to "a gift from our hearts" because they don't ever get to do anything for me and my family - they don't get to buy us presents. I said she could get me a birthday present instead this year. I finally gave up with the argument knowing that I wouldn't be taking the money. When they went to bed, I stayed up and wrote them both a letter. I explained that being able to spend the last two weeks with them was better than any gift they could have given me. I explained that I wasn't there because I felt like it was my "job" to be there - I was there because I wanted to help them, because I love them. They didn't have to give me money to show they loved me - they show me that every day of my life. I folded up the letter and took the money out of the envelope and was shocked. My grandparents have never been what people would consider to be "well off". In the envelope was $500 in cash. I couldn't believe for even one second that they would really believe I would take that. I pitched a fit when I thought it was $100. I left the letter and envelope on Pop's computer as I walked out of the house to leave for the airport.

They are mad I didn't take the money but they'll get over it. What is family for if you can't rely on them to help you though hard times? I could never imagine my parents not being there for me if I needed help, just like they have been there for me over the last year. And I can't imagine not being there for my grandparents if they need help. They didn't ask for help, but you know when someone can use a helping hand.

"Will work for food." Will work for family. Money not need apply.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please... Comment away!