Friday, September 19, 2008

New Family, Old Family and Turtles


Chase and Kelly had their 3rd baby, Dustin, last night. It feels like I have a new nephew, even though Chase is my cousin. It's funny how you can pick back up exactly where you left off with certain people. For some reason, him and I tend to fall back into it even after, wow, I want to say 5 years. Strange how that happens.

I saw April today. Debie, Betty Ann's sister, ran into her at a gas station of all places and said told her I had spent 4 hours in the woods looking for her and her mom this past week. April is at least not homeless (at the moment) but does need some help. She didn't ask for money (which somewhat surprised me) but asked for winter clothes. She left an abusive man, 11 years her senior, just before the summer and left everything she owned with him except for the clothes on her back and her binder from the program I got her into last time I saw her. She kept all of her completion certificates and was very proud to tell me about it. Clothes I will do! Money I won't. Money always equals drugs or alcohol in the state she is in. But clothes are good.

I feel like I have been in this "save the world" mode the last week and a half. I feel like I am taking care of everyone. Pop has gotten so much needier since I have been here - the man who usually won't let you touch a dish or even try to prepare a meal has been passing the dishes to me at the table and asking what I am making for dinner every day. Nany, of course, is needing everything, but that is why I am here. Then comes my other grandmother which I don't even want to start on...Betty Ann....April....and this evening when I was driving home, I saved a turtle. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please... Comment away!