Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Silent Giggles


Whew! I don't even know where to start today. It's only 11:32pm here and I am about to peel over. I couldn't sleep to save my life last night. I think the last time I looked at the clock was at 4:30am. Some nights my brain just will NOT shut off! I was thinking about work (or lack thereof) last night. Hmph - I use "lack thereof" a lot.

Something I have been thinking about is giggling. Each night when I am "trying" (I define that word loosely) to get my grandmother into bed, the two of us have what we now call our "Silent Giggles". As hard as we try to miss him, every time we try and lay her down, she comes within inches of missing her pillow and landing her head smack dab on top of her husband. That is where the silent giggles come in. You are trying SO hard not to laugh/smile but you end up with that goofy look on your face like if you had your lips removed by the world's worst plastic surgeon and are trying to smile. We woke him up tonight because the silent giggles irrupted into laughter and if you knew how hard it was for my grandfather to hear you would be shocked that we even got him to stir. He opened his eyes, flashed that grin, and said "you two quit your giggles". I felt like I was at a 12 year old sleep over, trying to sneak down to the kitchen. (that's probably not what 12 year olds do at sleep overs anymore).

Had another police search and rescue today. Well, another search and search. The one thing we did come across was yet another abandoned camp and as we were getting closer, a smell like I have never smelt before arose. I cannot even begin to explain how foul it was. By the time we got into the camp I literally had to breathe through my mouth. I was sticking close to "my" officer (who had begun to find it hilarious that I would swat at my ear every time he used a piece of grass to touch it) and he kept talking about the smell. Eventually the other one came over and said to him, "You know what that smell is, don't you?". Something or someone had died in that immediate area and it was recent. I thank God they did not want to stick around to play CSI for too long. I don't know what I would have done if I had seen a dead body.

When we were all going our separate ways this evening, and after another offer to try again tomorrow, I thanked them (again) and said I couldn't believe they went out with me the first time, much less a second. I got a smile and a "that's what we are here for - to protect and we serve". Now why don't all men have that ingrained in their head?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please... Comment away!