Saturday, September 20, 2008

Worlds Apart?


I find it fascinating how two people, can come from the same person and turn out completely worlds apart. Spending time with April today blew my mind in regards to what this girl has been though. To put it in prospective, she is living with a man who is almost 65 years old and April is 23. Enough said on that one. He is getting ready to move and she is not sure if she is going to continue to live with him so is making plans to move back to the homeless shelter in town. Why does this have to be an option for her? The girl is tougher than any 23 year old I have ever met. And that toughness comes from a great deal of tough times.

We sat and talked for a couple of hours today and I guess the thing I found the most surprising is how much she really does want help. I brought her some clothes today and even though they weren't her style, she was so gracious. She is having a hard time finding a job (aren't we all?) but is really wanting to get one, so I offered her some major support with her resume, some applications, and even making a few calls on her behalf. I got from her one of the most sincere hugs and thank you's I have received in a while. The thing is, she isn't asking me to do it for her. All is doing is asking for a little bit of support - and not even in a monetary way. She is so aware of what her mom did wrong in life. And to be honest, I thought she was so "far gone" years ago that she couldn't be led in the right direction. I think I was wrong with that one. And maybe we aren't really all that worlds apart. She has a good head on her shoulders and the girl is smart! She has just seen a lot more than anyone at her age should have seen.

Adam Goldstein and Travis Barker - you and your family are in my prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please... Comment away!